Tomorrow, Friday the 20th of March is International Day of Happiness! Besides putting a smile on your face and a skip in your step, how can you celebrate this lovely day? Well, I happen to have a few ideas for you. Some are BIG and some are small. Some involve stepping out of your comfort zone, others require you to look within. Whichever suits you and your personality, choose a few and embrace happy! And if you’re especially keen on Twitter, I would love it if you would join me tomorrow from 11am-12Noon on Twitter for a simple Twitter Chat about all things HAPPY! There are no conditions (but no prizes either) other than to bring your smiley fingers to Twitter for a chance to talk about happiness in your life, share ideas about how to spread happiness and hopefully brighten each other’s day! Join on in!
In the meantime, I have some ideas for you, based on the 40 #embracehappy Acts which I have been sharing on social media since the beginning of Lent. These would be a great starting off point for your own creative ideas so let’s see what these prompts spark:
Now how about some fun ideas to share happiness in the community during the day tomorrow? I’m always keen to recommend one of my favourite “Share #embracehappy Tuesday” ideas which is to leave inspirational quotes on post-it notes for strangers to find. My favourite quote? Our Embrace Happy tagline- “Not every day is good but there is good in every day!”
I’ll be celebrating International Day of Happiness in my daughter’s classroom with our 4th session of the Embrace Happy Club! We’re going to be talking about sharing happiness in our community, making some posters to put up around the village and school grounds and making happy face photo props for the children to take home and share with their families. I’m also planning on doing a bit of chalk writing on our footpath outside our house and placing some sneaky smiley faces on the path to school as well. Shhhhh. I like the idea of stealth happiness. Here are a few more ideas that you could try tomorrow to share a bit of sunshine:
- Buy a stranger a coffee
- Smile at people you pass on the footpath. If you make eye contact, say “Hello!”
- Hold the door open for the person behind you.
- Put a wayward trolley away in the proper spot instead of just leaving it by your car.
- Buy a small bunch of simple flowers, wrap them and add a small card & give them to a friend.
- Make pancakes for breakfast and draw smiley faces on them in Nutella or Syrup!
- Leave sneaky love notes for your OH to find throughout the day.
- Ring your Mum or Dad or another relative you haven’t spoken to in a while. Have a good old chat!
- Buy sweeties at the Pound/Dollar Store and hand them out to strangers on your lunch break.
- Take part in a fun Twitter chat from 11am-Noon to talk about all things happiness 😉 #embracehappy
- Make a list of 10 things that are making you most happy TODAY! Write them down in a journal or notebook and save them for a rainy day when you need a pick-me-up.
- Send postcards to 10 of your favourite people.
- Invite a friend out for coffee or lunch and talk about good old times! Have a proper laugh!
- Go dancing!
- Hula Hoop
- Blow bubbles
- Buy a pack of balloons. When you see a child, stop, blow one up and give it to them with a smile!
So there are some great ideas to get you thinking for tomorrow. I’d really love it, if you’re on Twitter, if you joined me tomorrow, Friday the 20th of March for International Day of Happiness Twitter Chat from 11am-Noon. Now, go forth and spread the sunshine! #embracehappy